weekend_writing_warriors_black2

The Weekend Writing Warriors share either 8 sentences over the weekend. Here are mine from the start of a historical novella set in Victorian London called Lily & the Mechanic.

Lily thinks our hero is actually a mechanic because he fixed the wheel of her carriage at their first meeting  few nights earlier but he is in fact a  man of her station, who knew her late husband very well.

London 1898

“Don’t buy me another veil, they’re too expensive.”

He stopped, she’d liked the veil he knew she did, after a few steps she stopped as well. Then she walked back and laid her hand in its butter soft glove against his cheek.

“Well I don’t expect you make much as a mechanic, don’t waste it on expensive lace for me. There is nothing here, nothing between us you can rely on.” She looked sincerely into his eyes as she spoke.

Her words rubbed-out what they’d just experienced as nothing; that pricked, there was no denying that. But this was just the start, he had the advantage of knowing the wounds he would find. And more importantly, he had found a weakness, passion.

© Elsa Holland

Image ©  Dascha Freidlovà

Link to Weekend Writing Warriors and the list of other authors

19 thoughts on “Weekend Writing Warriors #8sentences

1. burnsmillie says:

Oh, sounds like he knows her better than she knows herself. Interesting little snippet.

Thanks, yes she’ll be surprised 🙂

2. Alexis Duran says:

Hmm, I think I missed something juicy. Love that he’s letting her think he’s beneath her. Lots of interesting things going on between them in this snippet.

3. Awww I I feel for him, but glad he doesn’t let it get him. Very intriguing story line.

4. Oh…talk about sting. Lily no! Love the last line ❤

5. Such a fascinating story, all the twists and turns. I’m intrigued that he seems to know so much about her…excellent excerpt.

6. I really do feel for him in this moment. Intriguing snippet.

7. Christina Ochs says:

I love how kind she is while letting him down- she thinks at least. ::-) And the way he’s sizing her up is a bit predatory- yikes! Great eight!

Thx Christina, I always appreciate your thoughts! 🙂

8. Daryl Devore says:

Love the last line. Leaves sooo many possibilities open.

9. Intriguing – the blurb filled in a bit of background for me.She’s trying to be kind to a “lesser” person – this is going to get interesting.

10. chellecordero says:

My first thought on reading this was why doesn’t he just set her straight about his means, but then I wondered iif the reason she feels there’s nothing between them is because he doesn’t meet her social standing, Very interesting snippet, he seems both boggled and amused by her misconception.

11. caitlinstern says:

He seems pretty caring… but those last lines sound ominous. I sense good intentions in her words, but they didn’t come out quite right, perhaps.

12. Cara Bristol says:

Intriguing. There’s a lot of emotion conveyed in the eight sentences that evokes interest.

13. namidayuuki says:

I feel like I can sense deep emotions simmering just beneath the surface here. Very intriguing.

14. yhosby says:

Great snippet. I especially enjoyed the last two lines. The conversation flowed naturally.

Keep smiling,