weekend_writing_warriors_black2

The Weekend Writing Warriors share either 8 sentences over the weekend. Here are mine from the start of a historical novella set in Victorian London called Lily & the Mechanic.

In the last few snippets, Lily entered the Bond Street Bookshop and its illicit sexshop underneath. She has bought their full supply of sheaths while our hero, the ‘mechanic’ was looking through them to make a purchase. He then tries to get her to sell him just one which she refuses and he leaves. Outside her carriage breaks and he appears to help fix it but for a price.

London 1898

Blue-eyes laughed, a sound that was thick like a viscous port. It slid down her insides rich and heavy, bursting with the sweetness of caramelized raisins. Lord help her, he was a feast and she was a woman starving. In fact she hadn’t eaten in years, centuries.

He held both sides of the carriage door-frame then stepped inside. His weight dipping her and the cabin slightly towards him then righted as he sat across from her as a palpable awareness slipped under her skirts and meandered its way over every limb.

“So, you’re offering me a ride home?” He stopped for effect and looked at her with the full power of his charm, “ I think you know what I want Lily.”

© Elsa Holland

Image © Dascha Friedlova

Link to Weekend Writing Warriors and the list of other authors

31 thoughts on “Weekend Writing Warriors #8sentences

1. *fans herself* very hot!

2. Love a man who knows what he wants and doesn’t waist time trying to get it. Fab snippet

3. Jennifer says:

Love the visuals. I’m with Tamara, HOT!!! 🙂

4. Christina Ochs says:

Loving how you use “viscous port” and “caramelized raisins” to illustrate these hungry feelings of hers. Really nicely done!

Thx Christina I always really appreciate your comments 🙂

5. Delicious excerpt! Nice!

Liked by 1 person

6. Sensuous, the words are beautiful. I didn’t care for the ophrase “blue eyes laughed” where there was sound associated with eyes laughing but that’s a nit because I LOVED the rest of the snippet. Don’t we all know what he wants LOL? Wonderful.

Liked by 1 person

7. I agree with Veronica about the eyes and laughed, but despite that it’s a fun excerpt. You sure get a lot of the senses involved! Will have to come back next week to see her response!

Liked by 1 person

8. Your descriptions are so artistic. I love the visualization that you provide here. Awesome job!

9. chellecordero says:

“she was a woman starving. In fact she hadn’t eaten in years, centuries.” …my favorite line, very hot. (She’s not a vampire is she?)

No all very ordinary humans 🙂

10. caitlinstern says:

She should offer to sell him one–and share a second one! 😉

My sexy snippet below this post does exactly that! 🙂

11. Karen Michelle Nutt says:

Hmm… what will she do? Will she counter?

12. Alexis Duran says:

Very, very nice. She seemed so in control before he showed up!

13. Gem says:

AC back on and fanning self too. Sexydelicious snippet!

14. Daryl Devore says:

Love the darkness of the line – she hadn’t eaten in years, centuries.
    Tweeted.

15. I think we all know what he wants – but what she wants is more intriguing.
    A bit late – but Tweeted

16. evelynjules says:

LOVED this! My favourite line award goes to…’It slid down her insides rich and heavy, bursting with the sweetness of caramelized raisins. Lord help her, he was a feast and she was a woman starving.’ – Okay, so that was really two lines, but they’re two fabulous lines! One tiny nitpick. The second sentence in your second paragraph reads as a bit of a run-on. Maybe think about adding a break in there. Otherwise, this is stellar work! 🙂

17. lusciously hot 🙂 yes, he sounds like quite the feast 😀

18. EE Giorgi says:

oh, those opening lines are fantastic!!! I sure feel her appetite 🙂

19. yhosby says:

I think Lily knows what he wants, and so do I! I enjoyed their chemistry–it was hot! I liked “sweetness of caramelized raisins.” That sounds delicious.

Keep smiling,